This week I started my Bee Bot unit with Kindergarten and First grade and you can feel the excitement. Bee Bots are programmable floor robots designed specifically for early learners. Features of the Bee Bot include:
- Sounds and flashing eyes that let students know that their instructions have been entered;
- The ability to remember up to 40 instructions / steps entered by students;
- The ability to move accurately in 15cm steps and to turn in 90° increments;
- Bright buttons for the students to use to input instructions;
- A friendly and happy design that appeals to young learners (and teachers!).
We start by reviewing the different buttons and their functions and then we practice “teaching” the Bee Bot to navigate maps and roads. I find them to be a wonderful way of introducing early programming skills. My students are engaged, motivated and best of all leaving the tech lab excited about the next time we meet!